Photo Essay: The Natural Beauty of Cape Charles, VA
Cape Charles is a haven for nature-lovers that is nestled between the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean on the southern tip of Virginia’s Eastern Shore. This unique location is comprised primarily of farm land, parks, and a large wildlife refuge that keeps the area from being overdeveloped like area between Ocean City, Maryland and Rehoboth Beach, Deleware further up the Delmarva Peninsula.
Off the Atlantic shore, visitors will discover the undisturbed, wild beauty of the Barrier Islands, inlets, and salt water marshes. The bay coast holds calm beaches, Kiptopeke State Park, and woodlands with prime camping spots. Route 13 bisects the peninsula, flanked by expansive farm land and dotted with small towns, motels, and market stands. Outdoor enthusiasts will discover a wide variety of activities that include hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, fishing, swimming, biking, and birdwatching. Read our “Guide to Cape Charles” to find a detailed listing of where to stay, eat, and visit around the area.
Click on any photo to scroll through the full gallery at full size with captions.
- Guide to Cape Charles, VA: www.enroutetraveler.com/guide-to-cape-charles-va
- Kiptopeke State Park: www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/kiptopeke
- Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge: www.fws.gov/refuge/eastern_shore_of_virginia
- Virginia Coast Reserve: www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/virginia/placesweprotect
- Eastern Shore Adventures: www.easternshoreadventures.com
- Souteast Expeditions: southeastexpeditions.net
- Eastern Shore Outdoor Activities: www.esvatourism.org
Where do you go to admire nature? Share it in the reply section below.
Lara was instilled with the travel bug at an early age and has visited over 25 countries. Her mother’s job as a flight attendant enabled a childhood of exploring the world. In addition to being the founding editor of En Route Traveler, Lara also works as the Art Director for the branding firm, Belmont Inc., in Alexandria, VA. In her spare time, she instructs high-energy Zumba dance classes, contributes as a Local Expert to AFAR, enjoys vegetarian cuisine, dabbles in photography and, of course, travels as much as possible. Lucky for her, her parents have retired in Cape Charles, a great place to visit and bring friends to escape city living.