Stay: Kimpton’s Solamar Hotel in San Diego
Solamar Hotel encapsulates San Diego’s attitude with a warm and vibrant setting. Its prime location in the East Village makes it a convenient base for couples, friends, and business travelers seeking to uncover the city’s Pacific charm.
The hotel recently underwent a major renovation in 2016. The upgraded contemporary design is warmed by Spanish-influenced elements that reference the area’s colonial history.
Aside from style, the Solamar’s friendly service earns this property an extra gold star. Maybe the Southern California weather really does rub off on people because every time I stepped foot inside, the atmosphere always felt sunny. Guests who had just met were chatting in the lobby like old friends. The staff was always smiling, greeting guests (and pets) as they entered, eager to share their knowledge of the city. There was even a handwritten welcome note left in my room left by the manager on duty.
Visitors don’t have to stray far to sample a flavor of San Diego. The in-house restaurant, Jsix, serves seasonal California cuisine or cocktails and snacks can be enjoyed by the rooftop pool at the Upper East Bar.
Sleek and plush with eclectic touches
Kimpton Solamar Hotel is conveniently located in the middle of the action of East Village, on the edge of the Gaslamp Quarter. It is in the midst of restaurants, shops, and galleries – only a block away from the lively nightlife on Fifth Street. The hotel is less than a 10-minute walk to the San Diego Convention Center and the city’s baseball stadium, Petco Park.
Lyfts and Ubers are easy to hail, as well as the tram and bus. Below are distances to other points of interests:
- 1.5 miles to drive to Little Italy
- 2.5 miles to drive to Balboa Park
- 3 miles to Coronado Island
- 3 miles to Hillcrest
- 9.2 miles to Pacific Beach
- 12 miles to La Jolla
- 37 miles to LAX.
- LED flat-screen TV with cable
- sumptuous linens
- fully stocked honor bar (Karma Members get $10 credit to raid it)
- housekeeping service
- closet outfitted with iron, board, umbrellas, yoga mat, and bathrobes
- Wi-Fi (complimentary with Karma Rewards)
- Atelier Bloem luxury bath products
I stayed in a stylish Skyline Deluxe with King Bed. The decor felt sumptuous and polished, yet balanced with some modern, playful accents that kept it from feeling too heavy. The bathroom was a bold, unexpected surprise. It was covered in black and white Mexican tile, equipped with fluffy towels, a giant round mirror, and roomy vanity sink
The room had ample storage space for luggage and clothes. There was a closet with hangers plus nightstands and drawers to hold additional accessories. I kept my work laptop on the fold-out desk and the bedside was smartly equipped with charging stations for electronics and USB devices.
AMENITIES + HIGHLIGHTS
I like staying at Kimpton properties, particularly as a solo as a female traveler. The brand consistently delivers social and personal amenities that make it easy to meet other guests in a safe setting. The facility offers features like:
- chic outdoor terrace pool and bar with lots of cozy seating, fire pits, water station and outdoor games
- 24-hour fitness center
- events like weekly yoga classes by the pool
- SoCal Hour, a complimentary happy hour when wine and local beer are served in the lobby every afternoon
- refreshing ice tea and water stations in the lobby
- Complimentary PUBLIC bicycle rental
- Pets stay for free and receive personalized service
Rates range between $132-$360 USD depending on the type of room and season.
- Join the Karma Rewards program for free to bypass some fees and gain perks like free WiFi, $10 credit to raid the minibar, and points to upgrade.
- There are several public parking lots within a two-block radius of hotel – particularly around Market Street – that may be cheaper than Solamar’s hefty valet rates.
This property is very accommodating with pets. A giant chalkboard listing VIP’s names (Very Important Pets) greeted them at the front door. The hotel supplies owners with goodies like mats, water bowls, and a listing of nearby pet-friendly businesses.
Kimpton Solamar Hotel
435 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101
Hotel phone: 619-819-9500
Have you visited San Diego or stayed at the Solamar? Leave your questions and experiences for other travelers.
Lara was infected with the travel bug at an early age. Her mother’s job as a flight attendant enabled a childhood of discovering the world. She recently relocated to Seoul, South Korea, for her husband’s job and hopes to explore much of Asia while there. In addition to being the founding editor of En Route Traveler, Lara also works as a freelance graphic designer. In her spare time, she contributes as a Local Expert to AFAR, is an ambassador for FIG Clothing, enjoys vegetarian cuisine, instructs Zumba, practices yoga, dabbles in photography, and of course, travels as much as possible.
Disclaimer: Kimpton provided a discount media stay. All opinions expressed on En Route Traveler are my own.