Stay: The Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel in Huntington Beach
I spent five weeks exploring the West Coast at the beginning of the summer. As a female traveling solo around California, staying somewhere that was safe and comfortable was paramount to me. As I did my research and planning, I noticed a pattern: Kimpton had hotels in most of the destinations I would be visiting. I’ve been frequenting their properties for over eight years and have been a member of their Karma Rewards program for just as long so I knew what to expect. I knew that the boutique brand offered unique perks and daily social activities for its guests. This would make it easy for me to meet like-minded travelers.
The Shorebreak was no exception. I was warmly greeted at check-in and upgraded to a room with a giant, wrap-around balcony that overlooked the ocean for all the Karma points I had accumulated. The staff at the front desk gave me some local, veg-friendly restaurant recommendations and checked up on me as I came and went. The lobby and adjoining courtyard were almost always lively with guests – and their pets – which made it easy to strike up a conversation.
The newly renovated property is designed for beach-goers. I rarely needed to drive my car during my stay since the hotel was in the middle of pedestrian-friendly downtown. The laid-back vibe and location of the Shorebreak make it ideal not only for solo travelers like myself, but also for surfers, families (especially with teens), and couples looking for a getaway in Surf City, USA.
Surfer retro chic
The hotel is on 5th Street, a block from Main Street, and faces Huntington Beach and the pier. It is in the heart of the downtown shopping district, next to a Surf City Shuttle bus stop which provides free rides between Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, and Sunset Beach.
The Shorebreak is a central base camp for exploring Orange County. Below are distances to nearby points of interests:
- 6 miles drive to Newport,
- 16 miles Laguna Beach,
- 19 miles to Long Beach
- 37 miles to LAX.
- flat-screen TV with cable
- mini fridge and snack bar
- desk area
- electronics charging station
- closet with safe, bathrobe, iron and board, umbrella, yoga mat
- housekeeping service
- Wi-Fi (complimentary with Karma Rewards)
- Atelier Boem luxury bath products
I stayed in an Ocean View King with a large, wrap-around balcony that partially overlooked the beach and pier. The cream colored walls were soaked in natural light, cheered by pops of color from the large headboard, beach-themed artwork, and navy rug.
There was an abundance of storage in organized closets and cabinets – and even a shelf by the front door for keys and glasses. The bed provided a blissful sleep with a plush mattress and comfy mounds of pillows. My bathroom was equipped with an open walk-in shower and a broad countertop sink with bottom shelving.
As I’ve come to expect from Kimpton Hotels, the service was professional and friendly. The staff at Kimpton Hotels are always accommodating and their passion for the brand and travel is contagious. This is probably why it’s consistently been named as one of the best workplaces for diversity and rated in Fortune as one of the top companies to work for. I was able to have mail delivered to the front desk during my stay and was even left a surprise goody package of locally made cookies, dip, and ale for racking up Karma rewards points.
AMENITIES + HIGHLIGHTS
As with all Kimpton properties, The Shorebreak offers fun perks and amenities. The newly renovated facility is in top form with features that include:
- social activities in the lobby and courtyard that include a daily wine hour and fireside s’mores
- courtesy beach chairs, umbrellas, towels, and toys available at the front desk
- surfboard lockers, bike racks, and golf club storage
- intimate lounge seating areas and outdoor firepit areas
- a fitness center with a climbing wall
- Pacific Hideaway, a global fusion restaurant and bar
- complimentary beach cruiser rentals, there’s a bike path that runs along the beach
- fancy water coolers in the lobby plus morning tea, coffee, and iced coffee stations
- pets stay for free and the hotel is only a mile away from Huntington Dog Beach
- Become a Karma Rewards member – for free – and bypass gain perks like free WiFi, $10 to raid the mini bar, and accrue points for upgrades and free stays.
- The front desk posts daily surf and weather reports.
- Pacific City, an upscale outdoor shopping mall, is a short walk from the hotel and has some good dining options.
- If you bring a car, it’s pretty easy to find free street parking as long as you don’t mind walking a few blocks.
Have you ever stayed at the Shorebreak or Kimpton boutique hotel? Share your questions and comments for other travelers.
Lara was infected with the travel bug at an early age. Her mother’s job as a flight attendant enabled a childhood of discovering the world. She recently relocated to Seoul, South Korea, for her husband’s job and she hopes to explore much of Asia for the next few years. In addition to being the founding editor of En Route Traveler, Lara also works as a freelance graphic designer. In her spare time, she contributes as a Local Expert to AFAR, is an ambassador for FIG Clothing, enjoys vegetarian cuisine, instructs Zumba, practices yoga, dabbles in photography and, of course, travels as much as possible.
Disclaimer: Kimpton provided me with a discount stay. All opinions expressed on En Route Traveler are my own.